Did you know?
You may have seen some of these shocking facts posted around your community or on digital advertising around Tuscaloosa. Click the fact to learn more about the science behind it and to heighten your awareness about diabetes.
- 1 in 9 Alabamians has diabetes.
- Over half of all amputations in the U.S. are caused by diabetes.
- Losing 7-10% of your current weight can cut your risk for type II diabetes in half.
- Medical costs are up to 50% lower for someone without diabetes.
- Walking 30 minutes per day can decrease your risk of type II diabetes by up to 30%.
“Pin a Personality” Campaign 2014
The International Diabetes Federation’s “Pin a Personality” campaign is an effort to raise awareness for the growing global health crisis presented by diabetes. The campaign aims to “pin” notable individuals in the local community with the blue circle–the international symbol for diabetes–in order to demonstrate support and raise awareness. This year DiET is excited to partner with the Tuscaloosa County Diabetes Coalition to “pin” several prominent members of the University of Alabama and Tuscaloosa communities. Please see below for photographs of the pinnings.
The awareness efforts for World Diabetes Day 2015 are a joint effort between DiET and the Tuscaloosa County Diabetes Coalition. This would not be possible without the dedication and support of the following individuals:
- Cindy Bramble and Terina Wood, co-chairs of the Tuscaloosa County Diabetes Coalition
- DiET Executive Leadership Team: Andrew Davis, Holly O’Harra, Maddie Tomaso, Ruth Bishop, McKenzie Porcelli, Shanna Phillips, Jesse Gettinger, Lauren Griswold, Chelsea Harris, Patrick Crowley, Alex Morris
- Photographers: Mary Lieb, Candace Peters, Wesley Shaw
- Holly O’Harra, DiET Director of Brand Management
- DiET Board of Advisors: Dr. Pamela Payne-Foster, UA faculty sponsor of DiET; Dr. Rebecca Kelly, UA faculty sponsor of DiET; (future Dr.) Koushik Kasanagottu, president emeritus of DiET; Cindy Bramble, co-chair Tuscaloosa County Diabetes Coalition; Mike Fowler, Regional Account Executive, Sanofi; Regina Knox, Executive Director West Central Alabama AHEC; Debra Fisher, DCH Diabetes Center
- Mr. Claude Dorsey, Lamar Outdoors
- Beth Garner, The University of Alabama
- Emily Wright, Renfroe Outdoor